Sunday, May 13, 2007

Eurovision is dyyyyyyiiiiing...

  • Days until Birthday: 15
  • Currently hearing: "Leave Me Alone" by Hanna Pakarinen
  • Minutes on exercise bike: 20



The finals of the Eurovision Song Contest are over and man was that an anticlimax if I ever felt one. All due respect to Serbia, who delivered the winning song, it was very nice, but not at all a winner in my ears. I think possibly I have just not tuned myself in for this contest for years now. I stopped watching back when Denmark started becoming an embarrassment, so that would pretty much be.... eerrrrr... back in the beginning of the 90s or something. It just turned into a yearly torment reminding me how absolutely out of rhythm we were compared to the rest of Europe. I now sit here, maybe 10-15 years later and think "What the deuce?!", because now it's not just the Danish music scene that is out of rhythm, I am too. Can I really be this picky about music? I mean, I sort of feel that I normally like most stuff on the hit lists, but today I sat for 3 long hours and felt like I was musically-challenged. None of the stuff except one song, the entry from Finland, appealed to me. I saw song after song getting the 'deuce points' and wondered "What am I not hearing here?" I guess, to be honest, Eurovision just isn't my cup of tea. Maybe I should just let it not be that rather than trying my darnest to be supportive and sympathetic with my neighbour countries and not forcefully try to build up that dreaded national pride when a drag queen much resembling a pink peacock rapist, takes the stage and does a number I swear I heard before. Maybe Eurovision just isn't for everybody, or maybe just not for me. I love the fact that it appeals to the vast majority of the European countries and that it opens a forum for exchanging of musical inspiration and cultural learning and I will continue to see it as that. But to me? The spirit of Eurovision is dying in political, biased connections countries in between. It is not a contest anymore, it's a cockfight. And the music suffers.

On a more cheerful note it's after midnight which means it's mother's day in Denmark. Happy mother's day to my mum, the loveliest most fantastic woman in the world. Much love to you.

Rock on rockers and enjoy the Finnish entry in Eurovision, the gorgeous Hanna.

No comments:

Visitor Map