Friday, April 11, 2008

The one about Coheed and Cambria...


  • Best part of the week: seeing Coheed and Cambria live
  • Worst part of the week: a difficult parent-teacher conference
  • Looking forward to: seeing Paramore live in June

Bye bye world, or will our hope still hold on?

Boy, you're never gonna see, the things that will come of these (days)

Raise your hands high!

Young brothers and sisters,

There's a world's worth of work and a need for you.

Oh, change is coming, feel these doors now closing in.

Is there no world for tomorrow if we wait for today?

A couple of years ago I came to a crossroad in my life. I basically just had enough of the way things were and I desperately needed a way to deal with a lot of feelings I didn't know how to express. This was were Coheed and Cambria came into the picture. Johan played me some of their songs and I immediately fell in love with their sound, lyrics and the entire concept of their music.

About six months ago it was announced that they would be playing in Copenhagen in February 2008. I bought tickets as soon as they were released and was like a child before Christmas. I counted months and was hyper about the idea of finally getting to see them live.

The concert was cancelled a couple of months before. That is they were going to be supporting Linkin Park on their tour of America and so they would postpone their European dates. The concert was moved to April 8th and even if it was a bit of a disappointment to have to wait even longer, it still meant that I'd get to see them live.

On Tuesday this week we were off to the concert. We were kind of early for the show and ended up queueing for around an hour. Suddenly it struck me that there was a risk that I would be the oldest person attending the concert except for the band members themselves. The place was infested by little emo-kids, who were drinking, smoking and trying to act totally rock n' roll. Luckily in the end more people my age turned up and the atmosphere of the concert was really cool. We got to be quite close to the stage without being moshed so after the support, who was Oceansize, had finished up all the butterflies started gathering in the pit of my stomach. I guess no matter how old I get, I'll always be somewhat starstruck. But as corny as it sounds they just mean a whole lot to me, not in the groupie; 'I'll love you forever and stalk you in the bushes'-way, but because somehow their music has helped me through some rough spots the last couple of years. I guess you can say it's been almost therapeutic. Gah, I sound like a real nut now, but I hope some of you know what I mean.

Anyway, after a rather long wait they finally took the stage and it was just an amazing experience. They were finally real and not just a CD on the stereo or a video on the Internet. It was an awesome show, where people completely let loose and had a great time. Sore, swollen feet from standing up for hours didn't matter all that much, because all that mattered was the fact that Coheed was there and they were playing for us. Even if there were small things that ended up being a little too much, like them spending the last 30 minutes of a two hour show doing solos, it's still one of the best experiences I've had in years. They really are an awesome band. I bet most of us have a band we listen to, who just represent a very important part of our lives and of our personalities. I know to a lot of people Coheed are an acquired taste, but then again maybe I am too?

2 comments:

Leila said...

Åh vad grymt! It's so amazing to see gruppen/artisten man tycker så väldigt mycket om. Det är nästan så att man då vill slänga sig upp på scenen och säga tack för att er musik varit den kramen jag behövt när jag mått dåligt. Låter kanske lite flummigt, men sån är jag.

Anonymous said...

What you have with Coheed, i have with Nickelback. They helped me through lots of shit too.

How are you these days? Mailed you after i left Comms but never heard from you again. =o(

Mir

Visitor Map